Slow - very slow window creation?

Recently I installed a Debian system in a virtual pc machine on my Windows 7 Ultimate (core 4 6G ) it worked fine; windows update and response time great. The only problem was the size of the virtual screen was too small and Windows provided no way of modifying the virtual video board to accommodate larger screens.

At this point I recalled Cygwin/X and thought I should access the virtual debian with Cygwin/X instead of the virtual video card. Great, except that it seems creating of new objects is excruciatingly slow. I experimented with -depth and -screen options to no avail. Finally as a last "oh what the hell" I tried using compression with ssh. It worked. Even though compression with ssh on a fast network is supposed to slow things down.

I have no idea why it works, but it does. Given that MS does not ship an Integration Component for Linux with Windows 7, this is a fairly good alternative. I'm sure there are others like me who have the same problem and if you can verify my experience, you may want to incorporate it in your FAQ.