Re: I lose characters because keycode of Fn is same than DEL

On 1 July 2011 16:13, Jon TURNEY <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk> wrote:
> I was aiming to generate an unused keycode, though, so I'm not sure I've
> picked a good one.

Understood, although just about anything is preferable to Delete :)

Since Fn functions as a modifier, perhaps one of the Mod keys, e.g.
Mod5 might be a better choice.

As long as it can be distinguished from any other key, we can use
xmodmap to map it to whatever we want (e.g. Control_L for me).

> Can I see the output of 'setxkbmap  -print' as well, please?

xkb_keymap {
        xkb_keycodes  { include "xfree86+aliases(qwerty)"       };
        xkb_types     { include "complete"      };
        xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
        xkb_symbols   { include "pc+gb+inet(pc105)"     };
        xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)"     };
};

I get the same output regardless of whether X is started with or without
an external keyboard plugged in (is the external keyboard even
considered?).

Thanks,

Phil