Re: AW: AW: AW: AW: Can't paste text or type blind keys when mouse is out of the window

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011, Paul Maier wrote:
The problem here is, when running vi in an xterm and the mouse slowly (unnoticed)
moves over the scrollbar or out of the xterm, and you want to jump to mark "a,
you need to enter `a, that is in keystrokes

I'll experiment to see if I can reproduce this effect with my environment.
thanks for the detailed explanation.

Hi Thomas,

yes, I'm talking about dead keys = compose sequences.

Was it possible to you to reproduce it in your environment? Typing dead key ` apostrophe
then press letter "a" while the mouse pointer is over the scrollbar area of an xterm?

yes - I can reproduce it. Actually once I was made aware of the issue, I could see in my mind where the problem might lie. But I just verified it since you reminded me (on one of my Linux machines).

My idea about the problem is that since xterm has setup translations (which capture the input) on more than one widget (without appearing to address this special case), that it might be that there's a better point in the widget to attach the translations to.

This was discussed a little late in the #277 cycle to want to hold that up, so I had in mind to spend some time investigating a solution for it
during #278.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net