RE: Title bar of X apps, no host name?

You can put what you want in the title by setting PROMPT_COMMAND - e.g., set PROMPT_COMMAND="setWindowTitle $(uname -n)"

where setWindowTitle is a shell script like:
echo -ne "\e]2;$*\a"

by putting it in the PROMPT_COMMAND you handle the case where some command sets the window title while it is processing (I do this to provide feedback for long running scripts without filling up the screen). Once the command finishes the window title gets set back to your desired value.

Btw, I use different foreground/background color combinations to distinguish between xterms on different machines -
some of the color combinations are ugly but they are different :-)