Re: Title bar of X apps, no host name?

On 03/11/2011 19:27, Timothy Madden wrote:
On 24.10.2010 04:59, Jerry Cloe wrote:
When I start individual windows between two linux boxes I always get the
host name in the title bar of the window.

For example from my desktop linux box:

ssh -X jerry@prodserver
then
gedit&

The title bar of the resulting gedit window will be along the lines of:
"gedit (on prodserver.host.com)"

But, when I do this from my windows/cygwin desktop, the title bar is simply
"gedit" without the host name.

On the linux side, I've never done anything to set this up or make it work,
it just always worked, so I'm not even sure where to begin looking.

Any ideas?

Does anyone know how to change the window title to include the hostname please ?

Connecting to 4 machines (with *ssh -Y*) and starting the *gvim* on all of
them can be really frustrating when you have no indication what machine each
instance is running on.

This is a feature of the Window Manager you are using on your linux hosts (I guess metacity, which appears to add the WM_CLIENT_MACHINE window property onto the end of the window title (if it is not the local hostname)).

Unfortunately, the integrated WM built into the Cygwin X server (which manages each X window as a native window in multi-window mode) doesn't have this feature. I can see it would be kind of useful, but then again, I'm sure some people would hate it, so if added, it would need to configurable.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer