Re: Problems with emacs built against gtk3

On 12/4/2011 8:44 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 12/4/2011 7:13 PM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 08:01 -0500, Ken Brown wrote:
This doesn't do it. Emacs still dies after a short time. I don't know
if that means that there's something else going on, but I'll retest it
after you package gvfs. In the meantime, I'll continue with my
workaround of setting GSETTINGS_BACKEND=memory.

In case you (or anyone else) wants to experiment with this, you can get
my build of the emacs-24 pretest by running

setup.exe -K http://www.math.cornell.edu/~kbrown/kbrown.gpg

and adding http://www.math.cornell.edu/~kbrown to the list of mirrors.

WJFFM, but I'll get on that gvfs ITP right away. It looks like I also need to repackage pango1.0 to remove everyone's old pango.modules file.

But despite your subject line, the binaries there are clearly gtk2
based. Was that intended?

No, I made a mistake in my configure arguments. I put `--with-x=gtk3' instead of `--with-x-toolkit=gtk3', so emacs used the default gtk2. I'll rebuild it.

I've rebuilt emacs and am now definitely using gtk3. I've also installed the latest Cygwin snapshot. I tried your suggested workaround again (export GIO_USE_VFS=local) and it still doesn't work for me, but the symptoms are different: emacs doesn't die, but it freezes as soon as I try to list a directory with the command `<ctrl-x>d'. [This runs `ls' in a subprocess.]

I then went back to my GSETTINGS_BACKEND=memory workaround and noticed something new: If I run emacs in my normal way, with "emacs.geometry: 82x36+340+40" in .Xdefaults, I get the following error message:

Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_window_parse_geometry() called on a window with no visible children; the window should be set up before gtk_window_parse_geometry() is called.

But if I remove the geometry setting from .Xdefaults, emacs seems to work fine.

It's probably not worth pursuing these new problems until gvfs is ready, but I mentioned them in case they suggest to you that something is going on aside from the missing gvfs.

The gtk3 build of emacs is available in the same place as before if you want to try it.

Ken