Re: X still crashing, but interesting log messages... different config vals needed?

Jon TURNEY wrote:

On 12/02/2012 23:51, Linda Walsh wrote:
Jon TURNEY wrote:
On 11/02/2012 04:19, Linda Walsh wrote:
Still crashes in all the places it did 2 months ago, and more,  but
gives more interesting messages in log file (/var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log
I assume this refers to the problem reported in [1], crashing when running
yast2 on SuSE 11.4.  I don't know anything about any other crashes you might
have been experiencing.

I haven't done anything specific to try to fix this, because I can't reproduce
the problem and I don't have a useful backtrace.

It would be of great help if you could follow the instructions at [2] to
download the debug symbols and obtain a backtrace of the crash.
    I did that last time, then got another email from another admin saying
to try some other version instead of that one because the instructions were
wrong.

I'm assuming you're referring to the exchange we had at [3], but I don't accept that as an accurate summary of it.

Nevertheless, partly to prevent a re-iteration of that pointless debate, I
have improved my build scripts so I now preserve the debug symbols for the
packaged builds of XWin. Instructions on downloading them are available at [2].

    At that point, I gave up to go use Xming which didn't have the problem,
and was hoping someone else would run into it, since with cygwin, I have had it
set on autostart, and it usually crashes within 15-20 minuts -- make kernel,
or almost any qt based util,... then I just start Xming -- which was stable until
this last cygwin update...which doesn't make sense, as I didn't think there was
any code overlap

Indeed, the only things they should have in common are your OS installation and your computer, which suggests to me, at least, that the problem may lie there.

(main thing is I can no longer click on 'X' in a window and have it close, I
have to go through the program's menus in each program to close it...very
annoying.

Was wondering if I should be giving any different options that might
help it behave better?
Log from last run below --

Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 1.11.4.0
OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 [Windows NT 6.1 build 7601] (WoW64)
Package: version 1.11.4-3 built 2012-02-05

XWin was started with the following command line:

/usr/bin/XWin -dpi 101 -multiwindow -clipboard -nowinkill -wm
[ 14334.463] SocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed
This log looks normal apart from this line.

I don't think this is a new warning, and wasn't in the previous log you
posted, so it's hard to see how this could be directly related to the problem.

On the other hand, I'm a bit surprised that it works at all after that error.

Nevertheless, since UNIX sockets don't seem to be working correctly for you,
you might like to try adding '-nolisten unix' to see if that makes any
difference.

I assume you didn't try this.

[1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2011-08/msg00012.html
[2] http://x.cygwin.com/devel/backtrace.html