Re: X server crash when running texworks

On 3/29/2012 4:20 PM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
On 2012-03-29 14:59, Ken Brown wrote:
OK, I'm running it now and have attached gdb to it. The good news is
that I've been running it for a couple hours with no crash, and I've
used texworks and have opened many tex files and pdf files in it without
a problem. The bad news is that texworks becomes unresponsive and has to
be killed whenever I try to compile a tex file. I have no idea whether
this is due to an X server problem or something completely different.

fork() errors? Are there any messages on the console?

Here's what I see in the xterm window from which I started texworks:

$ QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/kbrown
pdfTeX 3.1415926-2.3-1.40.12 (TeX Live 2011)
kpathsea version 6.0.1
Copyright 2011 Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the pdfTeX copyright and
the Lesser GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the pdfTeX source.
Primary author of pdfTeX: Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
Compiled with libpng 1.4.8; using libpng 1.4.8
Compiled with zlib 1.2.5; using zlib 1.2.5
Compiled with poppler version 0.18.2

Everything looks normal except for the QFileSystemWatcher message. When I do `ps' at this point, it shows a defunct pdftex process.

In case you want to try to reproduce the current problem, start
texworks, open a tex file (such as the file test1.tex whose contents I
listed at the beginning of this thread), and click on the icon at the
left end of the toolbar (brown triangle on a green background). This is
supposed to cause test1.tex to get compiled, but for me it just causes
texworks to become unresponsive. This was working properly with the
previous version of the X server (until the server crashed).

After I kill texworks, `ps' shows a dbus-daemon process and a
dbus-launch process that weren't there before I started texworks, but
maybe that's to be expected.

texworks uses QtDBus, so it needs a DBus session bus. If one isn't present (which nowadays you need for just about anything), it will start its own instance.

If you are using multiwindow with startxwin, I strongly recommend adding
the following to the beginning of your ~/.startxwinrc:

eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax`

I normally do this, but this time I had started the X server without my .startxwinrc for testing purposes. I've just restarted it in my normal way. I still get the texworks hang, but there are no longer extra dbus processes. So that 's not the issue.