Re: Taskbar appearance changes between xorg-server 11 series and 12.0 series

On 07/04/2012 05:00, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 4/6/2012 1:01 PM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>> On 05/04/2012 16:54, Eliot Moss wrote:
>>> Something seems to have changed between the last 1.11 release and
>>> the 1.12.0 (up through the 1.12.0-2 release made yesterday).
>
>>> The window for StartXWin, which is minimized, did not previously
>>> result in an X icon in the taskbar, but now does, and it is
>>> distinct from the stack of X icons for my several launched
>>> xterms.  I feel it is clutter and want to suppress it, but I
>>> don't know how at this point.
>>
>> I guess the window you are seeing is the terminal window in which bash is
>> being run? It's the job of the run command to hide that window, and why it
>> should suddenly stop doing so when the XWin at the bottom of the process tree
>> changes, I have no idea.
>
> Yes, which is why I, too, was surprised.
>
>> This might perhaps be related to a bug in cygwin 1.7.12 where cygwin
>> executables were wrongly handled as native, non-cygwin executables?
>
> I just installed 1.7.13, and the behavior is still there.
> It goes away when something completes, which happens when
> all the windows started by .startxwinrc are gone.  If I kill
> it, then all those initial windows die.  Perhaps this is all
> normal, *except* that the run window is displayed.

All I can really say is that it works for me.  If run isn't doing it's job for
you, I don't know why.

You might like to take a look at using the xlaunch package to start your
Xserver and see if that behaves any better.

>>> These various commands / files all seem to be seen and used.  And by the way,
>>> the xemacs1 MINIMIZE does not seem to work -- it always starts maximized and I
>>> have to minimize it manually.  Hints on that?
>>
>> Using -name to set the xemacs resource name does not set the window class
>> name, apparently by design [1], so this style directive will not match the
>> window title or window class name of your xemacs window.
>>
>> Fortunately, you could probably achieve the same effect by adding the
>> '-iconic' command line option to the xemacs invocation.
>
> Actually, -iconic does not work; neither does it work to set the iconic
> resource to true.  Seems to be an xemacs thing.  In fact, here is a quote
> from the FAQ:
>
> "Ugh, this stuff is such an incredible mess that I've about given up getting
> it to work. The principal problem is numerous window-manager bugs... "

:-)

> However, I find that the .XWinrc MINIMIZE style *does* work ... but of course
> only for windows I create later.  And the class name is "emacs", not "xemacs",
> hence a STYLE entry of: emacs MINIMIZE ...
>
> Does this suggest to you any other way that might work to get an iconified
> xemacs from the .startxwinrc file?

We seem to be talking past each other here.  The .XWinrc you attached does not
specify a style for the 'emacs' class.

> STYLES {
>   console MINIMIZE
>   Eliot   MINIMIZE
>   xemacs1 MINIMIZE
> }

Adding 'emacs MINIMIZE' seems to work for me (although it does appear that the
window is created normal and then minimized, which a bit ugly, but that's a
consequence of the order we do things at window creation time)

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer