RE: Taskbar appearance changes between xorg-server 11 series and 12.0 series (more)

Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 4/18/2012 4:13 AM, Eliot Moss wrote:
>> On 4/17/2012 7:51 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>>> On 11/04/2012 11:39, Eliot Moss wrote:

>> The title of the window in question is StartXWin.
>> It has no perceivable content - I cannot de-iconize it.
>> Its only real evidence on the screen is the task bar icon.
>
>I'm not sure whether I've passed on the sequence of things
>that happens in terms of what is visible:
>
>1) As StartXWin starts, the screen flashes briefly, a common
>artifact of run.exe.
>
>2) Then the icon is *not* visible.
>
>3) xorg-server starts and displays its icon, and the StartXWin icon
>appears.  I am not sure whether there is a perceivable ordering
>here.  I'll perhaps try it a few times to see.
>
>This suggests that it is something about xorg-server starting and
>trying to decide which icons to display.  IIRC, the StartXWin icon
>appears before my xterm icons do, but then STartXWin is already
>running, and the xterms get fired off by the .startxwinrc file.

I have xorg-server 1.12.0-4; I observed similar behaviour. There was a
separate taskbar icon, apparently without a window, and the xterm with
a shell that was started because I used startxwin (without specifying
an X client); the xterm had its own taskbar icon. When I closed that
xterm, its icon and also the "startxwin icon" disappeared (with XWin
continuing to run, as expected).

Also, since I use 1.12.0-x, the XWin -displayfd option does not work
anymore for me: Started through startxwin, XWin doesn't complete
starting (after " Trying to create socket for display number 0" is
displayed); started directly from bash, XWin crashes due to a
"Segmentation fault" right after this point. (I didn't report this
because I haven't tested it on other machines yet.)

Best regards, Horst