RE: Why does nedit complain about these missing fonts?

Ronald Fischer wrote [text rewrapped]:

> So I run setup again to install the required fonts, and also (via
> xset) did a refresh of the font path. The problem still persisted.
> Looking at the installed fonts, I found my fonts being present only
> in /usr/share/fonts/100dpi and /usr/share/fonts/75dpi as a bunch of
> gz-files. I'm not sure whether this is correct (i.e. whether the X
> server is supposed to unpack them on demand), or whether the Cygwin
> setup script is supposed to do this. I think it is the latter,
> because when I did a
>
>   xset fp+ /usr/share/fonts
>
> I got the error message
>
> xset:  bad font path element (#90), possible causes are:
>     Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
>     Directory missing fonts.dir
>     Incorrect font server address or syntax

My guess is that you get this message because the directories in the
font path are from the viewpoint of the server. If your Xming
installation is on the same computer as your Cygwin installation and
the latter is under C:\cygwin, your command
    xset fp+ /usr/share/fonts
would translate to something like
    xset fp+ c:/cygwin/usr/share/fonts
The actual format expected by Xming might differ; see the output of
    xset q
for its font path. You might need to experiment a little.

Additionally, if I remember correctly, each directory containing a
fonts.dir file must be specified in the font path explicitly (i.e. the
directories in the font path are not searched recursively). So the
font path extension you need is possibly rather something like
    xset fp+ c:/cygwin/usr/share/fonts/75dpi,c:/cygwin/usr/share/fonts/100dpi

Horst