Re: "xterm -si" doesn't hold the line

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 02:49:22PM +0200, Paul Maier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> xterm -si doesn't work as expected.

The short answer is that it's always been that way :-)

This refers to the scrollTtyOutput, which in xterm is described:

       scrollTtyOutput (class ScrollCond)
               Specifies whether or not output to the terminal should automat-
               ically cause the scrollbar to go to the bottom of the scrolling
               region.  The default is ``true.''

and in rxvt (in the mid-1990s):

       scrollTtyOutput: boolean
           True: scroll to bottom when tty receives output; option -si.
           False: do not scroll to bottom when tty receives output; option
           +si.

However, rxvt (also long ago) implemented a different flavor:

       scrollWithBuffer: boolean
           True: scroll with scrollback buffer when tty receives new lines
           (and scrollTtyOutput is False); option -sw. False: do not scroll
           with scrollback buffer when tty receives new lines; option +sw.

and (relatively recently - two years ago) I implemented a different choice:

       allowScrollLock (class AllowScrollLock)
               Specifies  whether  control sequences that set/query the Scroll
               Lock key should be allowed, as well as whether the Scroll  Lock
               key responds to user's keypress.  The default is "false".

               When this feature is enabled, xterm will sense the state of the
               Scroll Lock key each time  it  acquires  focus.   Pressing  the
               Scroll Lock key toggles xterm's internal state, as well as tog-
               gling the associated LED.  While the  Scroll  Lock  is  active,
               xterm attempts to keep a viewport on the same set of lines.  If
               the current viewport is scrolled past  the  limit  set  by  the
               saveLines resource, then Scroll Lock has no further effect.

               The  reason for setting the default to "false" is to avoid user
               surprise.  This key is generally unused in keyboard  configura-
               tions,  and has not acquired a standard meaning even when it is
               used in that manner.  Consequently, users have assigned it  for
               ad hoc purposes.

That has the same general effect if Scroll Lock is set - I might still
add a "-sw" option like rxvt.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <dickey@invisible-island.net>
http://invisible-island.net