Re: 1.7.17: child window opens without window-manager

On 18/12/2012 13:51, egerlach@aiai.de wrote:
> * Jon TURNEY schrieb:
>
>> Possibly this is a bug with the mapping of the X windows decoration hints into
>> a native Windows window style.
>>
>> Can you install 'xprop', and show the output you get from running that, then
>> clicking on the window which doesn't get decorated and sized correctly?

Thanks.

If I've understood you correctly, the problems with how this window is shown
are: (i) it doesn't have a resizing frame, (ii) it doesn't have minimize,
maximize and close controls and (iii) it's too big.

>> _NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_STATE_MODAL
>> _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DIALOG, _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_NORMAL
>> _MOTIF_WM_HINTS(_MOTIF_WM_HINTS) = 0x6, 0x0, 0x68, 0x3, 0x0
>> WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
>> 		user specified location: 0, 0
>> 		program specified location: 0, 0
>> 		user specified size: 1684 by 1013
>> 		program specified size: 1684 by 1013
>> 		program specified minimum size: 478 by 263
>> 		window gravity: NorthWest

The _MOTIF_WM_HINTS request a window title, minimize and maximize controls,
but no window menu, border or sizing frame.

Unfortunately, on Windows, not having a window menu also means you don't get
minimize, maximize and close controls, so that is why the window appears with
just a title.

I don't see anything in these window appearance hints that says that the
window should be resizable (and it appears to be a modal dialog, which are
often fixed size).

The size of window the application is asking for is 1684x1013 (which I assume
is close to your monitor size).  I don't know why that might be (perhaps the
application remembers the window size from when it's been maximized previously?)

I'm not sure if a change to XWin is warranted here, or what that change might be.

Can you give an example of another window manager which shows this window as
you expect for comparison purposes?

Perhaps you can use the XWinrc file to override the style for this window and
change it to something more useful for you?

>> (The cygwin DLL version number (1.7.17) is independent of the X server version
>> number, so doesn't really help here.  The X server version number which it
>> works correctly with would be more informative)
> I'll find it out, at the moment the PCs are in use.
>
>> Are you are comparing with the last free version of Xming (6.9.0.31), or a
>> more recent version?
> yes, last free version 6.9.0.31
> A newer non-free Version 7.5.x  works fine, too

Hmm... the current Xming code for mapping the hints onto a native window style
is very similar (although not identical), so I'm not quite sure why they
behave differently.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer