Can't resize windows in Cygwin/X 1.12.1

Until recently I was using Cygwin/X under Cygwin 1.5.18 on Windows XP.  The windows displayed by our in-house X applications had resize borders - I could resize the windows by grabbing an edge.

Now, I am using Cygwin/X 1.12.1 under Cygwin 1.7.14 on Windows XP.  Now, the windows displayed by the same applications have a fixed size - I can't resize them by grabbing the edges.  (This is true both when I run the exact same executables under both Cygwin versions, and when I build the applications separately under each Cygwin version.)

I've been hoping that there is some sort of configuration setting that controls this behavior, but with many hours of digging through man pages, web pages, and miscellaneous documentation, I have been unable to come up with anything.  I was thinking maybe something that would go in .Xdefaults, or a command line parameter for startwxin, etc.

I would like to be able to restore the window behavior to what it was in Cygwin 1.5.18 without making changes to the source code of our applications.  However, if my symptoms imply that we've got something coded wrong in our applications, then any advice on fixing that would be appreciated.  I don't do any XWindows programming myself (and I'm only just barely familiar with XWindows in general), but I can pass any information on to those who do.

As a test I ran xclock on an old Sun system via PuTTY under both Cygwin versions.  On both the window was resizable.  So, resizable windows do work in that case, at least.

I am (I believe) using the default XWindows setup from my Cygwin installation - that is, the XWindows server is being started by a shortcut in the Windows "Startup" folder with a target of "C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/startxwin.exe"

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

               - Steven Sittser