Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Uploads for 12 August

On Aug 13 13:09, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> On 2013-08-13 09:13, Ken Brown wrote:
> >Yes.  The fix was to add the following for the Cygwin build, very early
> >in main():
> >
> >   setenv ("G_SLICE", "always-malloc", 1);
> >
> >I don't know why this no longer works.  Maybe Glib now does its memory
> >management initialization before emacs's main() is entered.
> Exactly; in glib-2.36, g_type_init has been moved to a ctor, which
> is automatically called before main(); hence, this setenv is too
> late now.  Mozilla software is also affected by this, see:
> and many others.  Firefox et al already use launcher scripts, so
> adding one more line won't be a big deal for them.
> >Yaakov, is there any chance that you could patch Glib to do the
> >equivalent of G_SLICE=always-malloc on Cygwin?  This isn't really an
> >emacs issue.  It would affect any GTK application that provides its own
> >malloc rather than using Cygwin's malloc.  (But emacs is probably the
> >only such application in the distro.)
> Given that the only programs which seem to be *practically* affected
> by this is our Emacs, and Firefox/Thunderbird/etc. (which we don't
> have yet), and using G_SLICE=always-malloc apparently affects
> performance, I don't think that would be an appropriate solution.
> For now, I think you'll have to add a wrapper script.

Can anybody of you explain to me what the actual underlying problem is?
I mean, why this error message:

   ***MEMORY-ERROR***: [3044]: GSlice: failed to allocate 504 bytes
   (alignment: 512): Function not implemented

What function is not implemented?  Is that something we can fix,
perhaps in the Cygwin DLL?

Red Hat