Re: Xwin 1.14.2 (64 bit) extreme memory page faulting

On 02/10/2013 2:50 PM, Erik Soderquist wrote:
I am currently using the X server on a Windows 7 64 bit host for
Firefox (in particular, occasional terminals too).  While everything
works, I am experiencing very severe memory page faulting causing the
graphical interface to appear to hang for several seconds at a time,
and when not appearing hung, responsiveness is very painfully slow,
sometimes to the extent that I will type a paragraph and then sit back
and watch as the graphical interface slowly displays what I typed at a
rate of 1-2 characters per second.
Is there really a Firefox build for cygwin/X ? Or are you tunneling from some other machine?

Testing with antivirus and firewall enabled/disabled did not affect
the results.  (faq reference
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#poor-performance found
during searches).
If antivirus is a problem (as in BLODA), you probably need to uninstall, not just disable. They're usually too lazy to actually remove their hooks when "off" and just (try to) make the hooks become (mostly) no-ops instead. Not saying it's your problem, necessarily, just that merely disabling AV is not enough to rule it out.

Also (not necessarily related to this particular problem), cygcheck reports a surprising selection of *nix-like utilities in c:\windows\bin. Whatever they are, they can't be helping.

I doubt it's an X-server code issue. You tried it on too many machines with problems, and too many other people aren't spamming the list about this, which suggests it's something on your side (like BLODA). Further, the only cygwin bug I've known to cause lots of paging was plugged months ago (it had to do with sparse executable files and should have been irrelevant for this situation anyway).

My advice: check out the cygwin FAQ about BLODA, uninstall anything listed there (or install a fresh VM image somewhere without those) and try again. If it's still a problem, somebody more familiar with X than me will have to take over...

Ryan