xinit hangs on XWin infinite loop when using -displayfd

The operating system is Windows XP Professional. It is a CLEAN install on a VMware virtual machine and is 100% patched up. Cygwin also is a clean install. I did try a rebaseall with no effect.

This is the first time I've encountered this. When I run "xinit -- -displayfd 3", xinit will hang and XWin takes up 100% of the cpu.

I've confirmed that file descriptors are working:

$ exec 3>a
$ echo "test" >&3
$ cat a
test
$ exec 3>&-

I can confirm that ports are available and that both xinit and XWin work without this argument by running:

$ xinit --

Everything else works fine but without "-displayfd" I can't record where the display is for this session to disk.

I've also tried copying known-working Cygwin installs into the VM and still have the same error. Copying the erroring install from the VM outside and running it on my development machine (Windows 7 x64) does not generate an error.

Unless something stands out here, I can provide the VMware image for testing (how convenient).

Matt D.