Re: Problem starting the X server

On 26/09/2014 03:52, Joel Ledain wrote:
I just installed the Cygwin packages on top of a "Windows 7". The
machine is Gateway NV55S28u. Install went fine. Rebooted the machine and
tried the bash window, this works fine. Then tried to start the X
server, and here I have a problem. I thing my problem is related to the
keyboard binding/support/missing packages...

I tried to use the command setxkbmap, but without the X server running I
am not getting anything beside "cannot open display".

For the Windows control panel -> devices -> keyboard, I see a "standard
PS2 keyboard".  I have the xkeyboard-config package installed.

I am attaching the log of my troubles.

(EE) Couldn't open compiled keymap file /var/lib/xkb/server-0.xkm
(EE) XKB: Failed to load keymap. Loading default keymap instead.
(EE) Couldn't open compiled keymap file /var/lib/xkb/server-0.xkm
XKB: Failed to compile keymap
Keyboard initialization failed. This could be a missing or incorrect setup of xkeyboard-config.
(EE) Fatal server error:
(EE) Failed to activate core devices.
(EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.

You should check that xkeyboard-config and xkbcomp are installed correctly, that xkbcomp can be run, and that you don't have any software which is known to interfere with cygwin installed, as described at [1].

You might also check if the TEMP or TMP environment variables are set, and if so, contain the unix-style pathname of a directory which both exists and is writeable.

If that doesn't help, perhaps could you try the snapshot [2], which is built with additional debug logging enabled.

[1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-failed-to-compile-keymap [2] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/x86_64/XWin.20140926-git-6f318e09efcfdbe9.exe.bz2

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer