Re: Magic Cookie - SSH Secure Shell

On 19/04/2015 22:08, Nicholas Fitzkee wrote:
Ultimately, I have graduate and undergraduate students who need to be able to quickly set up their own Windows systems to run X11 apps on my linux server. These students are often not particularly tech-saavy, so I'd like my tutorial for them to be as simple as posslble. As an example, you can
see what I wrote for the old xinit at this link:

If you don't mind using a slightly older version of the Cygwin X11 server you might point your students to this instead:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/minimalcygwinx/

This was put together for exactly your stated purpose. It is a Cygwin installation pruned down to just the parts needed for X11 to run with Putty. Since it uses the older X11 server it doesn't have any of the "features" (ie, problems from the perspective of your intended users) that the current X11 server does.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog@caltech.edu