Re: Some changed behaviors ...

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 7:27 PM, Jon TURNEY <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk> wrote:
> On 04/06/2015 02:41, Eliot Moss wrote:
>>
>> I just updated to the latest XWin and got some
>> different behaviors:
>>
>> - In my .XWinrc file I was using MINIMIZE in the STYLES.  This now seems
>>    to permanently iconize a window.  If I click on the icon, it briefly
>>    flahses large and then iconizes again.
>

> Thanks for reporting this.
>
> This regression seems to be a side-effect of the change I made in 1.17.1-5.
>
> If you would like to try it, I made a snapshot which hopefully fixes this
> without breaking anything else, but when working on this code I always get
> the feeling that something else is going to unravel when I pull on one of
> the loose ends :)
>
> ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/x86/XWin.20150702-git-b872b0571855112c.exe.bz2
> ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/x86_64/XWin.20150702-git-b872b0571855112c.exe.bz2

1. I was able to reproduce this issue on my system, and your snapshot
fixed it. I tested xemacs:
STYLES {
        "emacs" MINIMIZE
}
(The logs in my attachments are about #6, not this issue. However,
cygcheck.out does show my system's configuration.)

2. I briefly tested both 1.171.0-5 and your snapshot with X2Go Client
for Windows 4.0.4.0-2015.06.24. We don't use the .XWinrc file at all,
but I did not notice any regressions.

3. I actually noticed an improvement in terms of the issue that the
X2Go's patch (winmultiwindow.patch from Oleksandr Shneyder (phoca
GmbH))  was meant to address. I will send a separate email about that.

>> - When using -geometry (with xemacs in particular), the height of the
>>    screen seems different, and if I change the geometry height by 1, the
>>    height of the window does not change by 1 -- it either doesn't change,
>>    or changes by more than one.
>

> Hmmm.... I think that the size of the emacs window is (or at least, should
> be) constrained so it can only change by a whole character?

4. -geometry for xemacs appears to be in terms of whole characters, not pixels.

> Can you give a bit more detail e.g. what version you were using previously,
> the geometry you are requesting and the actual size of the window as
> reported by xwininfo?
[...]

5. I am not sure if I reproduced Eliot Moss's bug or not.  It seems
like the size of the Window always changes when you pass different
different args to -geometry. However, trying to identify the size of
the change complicated by #6 & #7.

6. I immediately noticed that the top-left corner of the Window
differs, depending on both the version of xwin and the Y value for
-geometry.
(Note that I am only passing WIDTHxHEIGHT, not WIDTHxHEIGHT+XOFF+YOFF).

See the attachments.
"command output*.txt" contains the xwininfo output & the xmecs
commands/output. In both cases, I did not move xemacs window; I only
X'd out of it after running xwininfo on it.
Also, this is my monitor layout: http://imgur.com/5v3XPEi,kYFucMs

7 .Furthermore (and I will have more time to debug this later), it
appears that xwininfo isn't reporting the size of the Window properly.
Look at the spreadsheet I attached, "xemacs window corners.ods". (The
"Top" and "Bottom" values are from the xwininfo "Corners:" line.)
Maybe I am interpreting the xwininfo output wrong.

-Mike