Re: Some changed behaviors ...

On 7/2/2015 7:27 PM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
On 04/06/2015 02:41, Eliot Moss wrote:
I just updated to the latest XWin and got some
different behaviors:

- In my .XWinrc file I was using MINIMIZE in the STYLES.  This now seems
   to permanently iconize a window.  If I click on the icon, it briefly
   flahses large and then iconizes again.

Thanks for reporting this.

This regression seems to be a side-effect of the change I made in 1.17.1-5.

If you would like to try it, I made a snapshot which hopefully fixes this without breaking anything
else, but when working on this code I always get the feeling that something else is going to unravel
when I pull on one of the loose ends :)

ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/x86/XWin.20150702-git-b872b0571855112c.exe.bz2
ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/x86_64/XWin.20150702-git-b872b0571855112c.exe.bz2

I run 32-bit, so I tested only that, but MINIMIZE in STYLE now works!
Hooray!  This is the first time that emacs has properly minimized on
startup and properly un-minimized when first clicked!

- When using -geometry (with xemacs in particular), the height of the
   screen seems different, and if I change the geometry height by 1, the
   height of the window does not change by 1 -- it either doesn't change,
   or changes by more than one.

Hmmm.... I think that the size of the emacs window is (or at least, should be) constrained so it can
only change by a whole character?

Can you give a bit more detail e.g. what version you were using previously, the geometry you are
requesting and the actual size of the window as reported by xwininfo?

Yes, the first two geometry measures for emacs are indeed in terms of characters.

Here is output when I request 110x64+0+0 on my laptop

xwininfo: Window id: 0xe00054 "xemacs"

  Absolute upper-left X:  9
  Absolute upper-left Y:  38
  Relative upper-left X:  9
  Relative upper-left Y:  38
  Width: 1103
  Height: 983
  Depth: 24
  Visual: 0x21
  Visual Class: TrueColor
  Border width: 0
  Class: InputOutput
  Colormap: 0x20 (installed)
  Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Backing Store State: NotUseful
  Save Under State: no
  Map State: IsViewable
  Override Redirect State: no
  Corners:  +9+38  -808+38  -808-59  +9-59
  -geometry 108x64+9+38

This is from requesting 110x65+0+0:

xwininfo: Window id: 0xe00054 "xemacs"

  Absolute upper-left X:  9
  Absolute upper-left Y:  38
  Relative upper-left X:  9
  Relative upper-left Y:  38
  Width: 1103
  Height: 983
  Depth: 24
  Visual: 0x21
  Visual Class: TrueColor
  Border width: 0
  Class: InputOutput
  Colormap: 0x20 (installed)
  Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Backing Store State: NotUseful
  Save Under State: no
  Map State: IsViewable
  Override Redirect State: no
  Corners:  +9+38  -808+38  -808-59  +9-59
  -geometry 108x64+9+38

And this from 110x66+0+0:

xwininfo: Window id: 0xe00054 "xemacs"

  Absolute upper-left X:  9
  Absolute upper-left Y:  38
  Relative upper-left X:  9
  Relative upper-left Y:  38
  Width: 1103
  Height: 983
  Depth: 24
  Visual: 0x21
  Visual Class: TrueColor
  Border width: 0
  Class: InputOutput
  Colormap: 0x20 (installed)
  Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Backing Store State: NotUseful
  Save Under State: no
  Map State: IsViewable
  Override Redirect State: no
  Corners:  +9+38  -808+38  -808-59  +9-59
  -geometry 108x64+9+38

I verified that I was changing the right file by adjusting
the width to 80 instead of 110, and it changed.

If I take that 80x66+0+0 window and drag the bottom down to add
a line, we get this:

xwininfo: Window id: 0xe00054 "xemacs"

  Absolute upper-left X:  9
  Absolute upper-left Y:  38
  Relative upper-left X:  9
  Relative upper-left Y:  38
  Width: 803
  Height: 998
  Depth: 24
  Visual: 0x21
  Visual Class: TrueColor
  Border width: 0
  Class: InputOutput
  Colormap: 0x20 (installed)
  Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Backing Store State: NotUseful
  Save Under State: no
  Map State: IsViewable
  Override Redirect State: no
  Corners:  +9+38  -1108+38  -1108-44  +9-44
  -geometry 78x65+9+38

(Curious that the 80 was not obeyed, huh?  There's plenty of
room in that dimension.)  The vertical dimension may get short-
changed because it pushes right up against the icon bar at the
bottom of the screen.  I guess emacs does its own mystical
adjustment of the parameters, given available font sizes, etc.
I don't think this is a Cygwin-X specific thing, but if you
have any additional thoughts, they're welcome!

Thanks, as always, for your work on X for cygwin!   Eliot