From: Jon TURNEY <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>
Sent: Friday, 24 July 2015 11:04:34 PM
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Cc: Wood L  Dr (Electronic Eng)
Subject: Re: X no longer spawning windows after update

On 24/07/2015 01:27, l.wood@surrey.ac.uk wrote:
> Updated cygwin 32-bit with installer, now X no longer spawning
> windows or terminal on launch. Just seems to hang after running
> startxwin. Is there anything obvious in the log below?

I think what you are seeing is the deliberate change described in the
last bullet point of [1]

The log you provide looks normal.

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-07/msg00013.html

> (--) 8 mouse buttons found
> (eight mouse buttons? on a three-button mouse?)

The value logged here comes from GetSystemMetrics(SM_CMOUSEBUTTONS)

Some USB mice seem to report incorrect values.  I'm guessing this is
something like the maximum number of buttons the microcontroller inside
can support, rather than the number which are actually physically present.

This value is only used to see if it's not 2, in which case
-emulate3buttons is enabled by default.

I'm not sure what can be done about this, except perhaps changing
"found" to "reported" :D

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer