Re: cat and binary files

If cat is stopping at Ctl-Z on anything but console input, it is a bug.
There has been no actual "end-of-file" marker in DOS since version 2.0.
The Ctl-Z is only EOF for the *console*, just like Ctl-D is EOF for
/dev/tty under Unix.  And, like /dev/tty, it's only EOF when the console is
in cooked mode.  If you put the console into raw mode, Ctl-Z does nothing.

Some DOS programs have yet to alter their behavior and still place Ctl-Z at
the end of disk files.  This is also a bug, though if you want to support
DOS 1.0, you could call it a feature.

All this aside, IMHO, cat is inherently a binary program -- it shouldn't
care whether newline is CR, LF, or CR+LF unless one of the line-based
options is used (bns).

BTW, I wouldn't recommend using binary mode.  I tried that briefly and
found that rebuilding will fail rather miserably.

- Tim Iverson
  iverson@cisco.com

-