Re: Uname -m and arch

Fabio Somenzi wrote:
[...]
> When I type "uname -m" on my Pentium 120 running Win95, I get:
>   i6395286
> Under Linux, I would get i586. Is this as it should be? If so, what is
> the meaning of 6395286?

Either you have an Intel i6395286 chip in your machine or you're running
into a cygwin.dll bug.  I have a hunch as to which is more likely.  :-)

What's happening is that uname() isn't setting the processor level
correctly.  uname() gets some of its info using the SYSTEM_INFO struct.
This structure has various members many of which aren't supported under
both Windows 95 and NT.  :-(  I've fixed the development sources so uname
will behave better under Windows 95 in future releases.

--
Geoffrey Noer
noer@cygnus.com