Re: You can't stop progress

In message <Pine.BSI.3.96.970623141538.21729B-100000@fish.hooked.net>,
Hmmmz <garbanzo@hooked.net> writes
>I think this is mainly an OS thing and not gcc.  I've noticed that NT with
>32mb ram acts like 95 with 8, not to say that 95 is that fast, but... if
>you don't have gobs and gobs of ram at your disposal, 95 and gcc work
>together pretty well with about 32 megs of ram.
>
>- alex

Yes, this is the problem. gcc assumes that the underlying OS has good
memory management (the wasteful 2^n malloc system assumes the OS will
optimise the wastage for instance). Unfortunately Windoze seems not to
be good at managing memory. The surprise is that using >32 megs improves
gcc under windoze. I have no native win32 software that speeds up
detectably above 32M apart from gcc, I think the underlying assumptions
implicit in gnu/Unix software just stretch windoze very seriously.

--
Paul Shirley
-