Re: Revised licensing terms

IMHO, Cygnus certainly deserves to be paid by anyone wanting to sell a
commercial product containing their work (ie. the DLL).  If you can't make a
profit on your product with their DLL licensing fees, then obviously you
are not adding enough value.

However, the level of support provided by this beta group goes far beyond
what anyone would expect from any group not directly involved in
development.  That deserves more than a little consideration, too.

I suspect this support would vanish should Cygnus decide to release only
commercially (ie. you pay, or you can't use it).  Releasing also under the
GPL should satisfy just about everyone else.

I was surprised when Cygnus called embedded developers competition in the
previously proposed license.  I'd say embedded folks are more likely to be
customers (Cisco certainly is), not competition.  Compiler and tool
developers are competition.

Personally, I am pleased that the GPL will be offered.  This would allow my
group within Cisco to use (and fix) the GCC/W95 tool suite in-house until it
has proven itself worthy of purchasing a support contract from Cygnus.  It
also ensures propagation of bug-fixes, something that improves quality
across our entire industry.

- Tim Iverson
  iverson@cisco.com

-