Problems with gnu-win32

To: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
Subject: Problems with gnu-win32

I recently installed the gnu-win32 package (b18, with development tools) on
a DELL PentiumII box running Windows-95, and on a DELL Pentium-Pro box
running Windows-NT.  I'm trying to port a complex application from a
Linux/Unix environment to both of these systems.  Much of this application
is now running ok, including some hairy I/O involving inter-process pipes
and select calls.  Here are some of the things that don't seem to be
working properly:

1. The hostname command seems to work on Win95 but aborts on WinNT.
2. popen seems to work on WinNT, but on Win95 only read calls (mode "r")
   work, while write calls ("w") fail.
3. Attempts to retrieve cpu time using getrusage() fail on both systems,
   returning junk.  Here is the code, which works ok on Linux/Unix:

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/time.h>
#include <sys/resource.h>
#include <unistd.h>

/*
 * double CpuTime( ) - report Dsu cpu time.
 */
double
CpuTime( void)
{
	double	  t;
	struct rusage   r;

	getrusage( RUSAGE_SELF, &r);
	t = r.ru_utime.tv_sec + r.ru_stime.tv_sec +
	        (r.ru_utime.tv_usec + r.ru_stime.tv_usec) / 1000000.0;
	return (t);