RE: splitting this list ?

I think your idea is good in concept, but since I'm not the one who has to
do the work, I defer judgement to those who more directly hold a stake in
maintaining this list.

Rather than receiving a FAQ on joining, I would suggest a 'FAQ letter' that
explains that there are resources available to those who are using this
"environment" for
Installation -- Inst URLs
Builds -- make/compile/install URLs
programming -- pertinent URLs
ports -- some people are interested in "successful ports," others in
"details to port" (maybe Build/maybe Install)?

but each FAQ really only pertains to the version; while I'm several
versions and releases behind, I still find the most recent FAQ useful by
virtue of the items it has included over time.  "Newbies" (in usage of
Cygwin tools, rather than in DP/whatever experience) may not realize that
the FAQ at "latest" may refer to problems/solutions that don't apply to
their particular version/release.

I think it would help to mention such things in the subscription
confirmation message:  The caveat that people may be too busy to answer
questions or that 'you have asked a question that is already in a FAQ,'
endlessly clarified things for me.

The group of inexperienced 'users' (rather than developers) who received
disks from SAMS publishing (or some such source) are really left without a
clue.  They need help, but I'm not sure this list is appropriate; since
SAMS publishing sends them to this list in the first place, maybe it would
be appropriate to send them back to the SAMS publishing page.

Maybe it would help to include the topics "flame messages," "product
slurring," and just plain "venting."

Ernie