RE: corruption in socket layer?

We ran into a similar (yet different) problem - with WINSOCK you
cannot guarantee that on a close all the data is flushed. You better
do some application level handshaking. We saw that even if we did a
close with a timeout period, the lower level never told you whether
the timeout expired or whether the data was actually sent. It appears
that the state goes to FIN_WAIT even though a FIN has not been sent
out and then a close is successful!. The condition we saw this in was
if the remote had set the window size to zero while at the same time
we had only enough data left that would fit in the internal TCP
buffers. We would do a close, it would return successful and we would
go on trying to establish a new connection to the same remote and it
would send a reset back since from its point of view, the previous
session was alive.

The bug was reported to MS a few months back - no response other than
that's how Winsock works :-)

Regards

Deepak Khosla
281-514-9234