gnu-win32 and winsock

Hi..I've just converted from 17.1 to 18, and the first thing I notice is
that when I started the bash shell, it keeps starting the dial-up
program I have, trying to go online.  This is an extremely annoying
behaviour.  I understand that winsock is initialized in this new version
when you start any app in the shell.  Is it trying to get the name from
a name server or something (a similar problem with older version of GNU
NTEmacs)??  How do I disable it?

If it couldn't be done, I just have to go back to 17.1.  Any help will
be greatly appreciated.

Allen
-