Install problems

I am running Win 3.1 on a 486.  The install seems to run because I get
the window and the icons, but when I execute GUNZIP, the screen goes
black for a second then comes right back (the same happens when I do the
WINZIP install).  What am I missing to do an install so I have a
compiler?  Have gone through the README and FAQ files a number of times
to no avail.

-