Re: Feedback needed on proposed cygwin feature

In article <34856623.C5226DBC@twinspot.net>,
Tomas Fasth  <tomas.fasth@twinspot.net> wrote:
>Modifying the exe file "on-the-fly" for environmental settings is not to
>recommend. Two of the reasons I can think of is:
>
>* Security considerations in a multiuser / multiprocess environment.

What security considerations are there that are not also present with
any other scheme, whether it is using extended attributes or setting options
in the registry?  You would have to have the right privileges to change
the binary.

>* Will cause problem in environments with active virus protection.

How does a virus detection program detect the difference between installing
a new version of bash or changing a byte in the existing file?
--
http://www.bbc.com/	cgf@bbc.com			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."