make and /bin/sh

this is my first time on the list, so this may have been answered before
but i didnt see it in any of the searches (although I didnt search the
list archive, b/c it was too much work).

i have a clean rule in the makefile that does an rm *.o blah blah blah
and make complains that it cant find /bin/sh, I tried making a \bin\sh
but it didnt work.

Anybody know a work around ?

thanks,
jay