RE: Win32 vim / gvim with gcc?

Glauber Ribeiro writes:
>Sorry for the silly question. Anxious to join the hordes who can look
>themselves in the mirror every morning and say "i compiled Win32 Vim
>myself!", i installed the Cygnus Win32 port of gcc.
>
>Question is: is it possible to compile vim and gvim with this setup?

Here is how I did this.  Note I installed GnuWin32 b18 in e:\gnuwin32
and that my GnuWin32 mount table looks like this (you need to mount
/usr and /bin directories for the rest of what follows to work, and
use binary mounts for all GnuWin32 directories):

  Device           Directory           Type        Flags
  e:\gnuwin32\b18  /usr                native      no-mixed,text=binary
  e:               /e                  native      no-mixed,text=binary
  d:               /d                  native      no-mixed,text=binary
  c:               /c                  native      no-mixed,text=binary
  e:\gnuwin32\b18\H-i386-cygwin32\bin /bin   native
no-mixed,text=binary
  b:               /b                  native      no-mixed,text=binary
  a:               /a                  native      no-mixed,text=binary
  e:\gnuwin32\rootdir /                native      no-mixed,text=binary

1.  Install the attached 'install' script per its comments.
    This script helps you run standard Unix install scripts under
    GnuWin32.

2.  Download and install ncurses-4.1 (available from
    http://www.clark.net/pub/dickey/) as follows:

    Unpack the tarball into a temporary directory.
    Then, from bash, just do:
      export SUFFIX=.exe
      ./configure --prefix=/usr
      make
      make install

3.  Build and install vim-5.0u as follows:

    Unpack tarball into a temporary directory.
    Edit vim-5.0u/src/Makefile as follows:
      Un-comment these lines (I have Win32 Perl and Python but not the
      GnuWin32 versions!):
        CONF_OPT_PERL = --disable-perlinterp
        CONF_OPT_PYTHON = --disable-pythoninterp
      Other settings for my GnuWin32 install:
        prefix=/usr
        BINDIR   = /usr/bin

    Edit vim-5.0u/src/ctags/Makefile.in to add suffix support (a minor
    change to line 116):
      $(DEST_CTAGS): ctags $(bindir) FORCE
      	$(INSTALL_PROG) ctags$(SUFFIX) $@  &&  chmod 755 $@

    Then, from bash, just do:
      make
      make install

Provided bash sets TERM=linux, the resulting Vim should work well in
the GnuWin32 environment.  The only problem I have encountered is that
the screen redrawing has a small problem when Vim has multiple windows
and I use <C-F> to scroll ahead:  parts of the split bar appear near
the top of the window (<C-L> always clears it up, though).  I know
enough of neither ncurses nor Vim screen drawing to know where to look
for the cause of this.

I have not tried to build GVim for GnuWin32 (I have no X support
installed).

--John

 <<install>>

install