RE: split and cat

Then Fergus wrote:
>Homework exercise: patch `split' so that it opens its files in binary
mode.

>(`cat' is a bit more troublesome, but adding a `--binary' option should
>not be too hard.)

DJGPP's cat defaults to binary for all files and 'text mode' for console

output, but provides a 'binary' option specific to console output;
consult
their sources to make your homework easier:

  F:\djgpp\bin>cat --help
  Usage: f:/djgpp/bin/cat.exe [OPTION] [FILE]...
  Concatenate FILE(s), or standard input, to standard output.

    -A, --show-all           equivalent to -vET
    -b, --number-nonblank    number nonblank output lines
    -e                       equivalent to -vE
    -E, --show-ends          display $ at end of each line
    -n, --number             number all output lines
    -s, --squeeze-blank      never more than one single blank line
    -t                       equivalent to -vT
    -T, --show-tabs          display TAB characters as ^I
    -u                       (ignored)
    -v, --show-nonprinting   use ^ and M- notation, except for LFD and
TAB
        --help               display this help and exit
        --version            output version information and exit

  With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input.

    -B, --binary             use binary writes to the console device.

--John
-