Re: Initialising gnuwin DLLs

Hello Matthew,
I'm just guessing but it sounds like you are running into things that
are not thread-safe. You can allow on one thread into a code section
at a time with:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <windows.h>
CRITICAL_SECTION cs;
int main()
{
  int i;
  InitializeCriticalSection (&cs);
  EnterCriticalSection (&cs);
  printf("hello\n");
  LeaveCriticalSection (&cs);
  DeleteCriticalSection (&cs);
  return 0;
}

My guess is that, say, thread 1's printf calls malloc while
another thread is in malloc. What happens? who knows.
Pat
On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Matthew Brett wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> >From some recent messages, it looks as though several of us are having
> difficulty using gnuwin DLLs with other software (such as VC++, matlab).
> Even something as innocent as a printf() command in the DLL causes
> a memory access crash, with errors like:
>
> The instruction at 0x1000c4ec referenced memory at 0x00000058
>
> It's the same with many other functions: any file access function, malloc,
> pid, to name a random selection.  However, although malloc() causes a
> crash, LocalAlloc does not.  I / we were wondering whether this was a DLL
> initialisation problem, and whether anyone knows how to initialise a
> gnuwin DLL properly for use by non-gnuwin apps.
>
> Thanks for any help to the lost,
>
> Matthew Brett
>
> -

Patrick Fay, Ph.D., Intel Corp.            email:   pfay@co.intel.com
Los Alamos National Lab                    wk:         (505) 665-9141
CTI M.S. B296                              fax:        (505) 667-5921
Los Alamos NM 87545    ASCI-RED http://www.acl.lanl.gov/~pfay/teraflop

-