Device Drivers & cygwin32/mingw32

I wish to do some data logging with an off the shelf counter/timer card.
As far as I know there are no device drivers for Win95/NT available;
just a library
of functions for DOS using direct I/O access.

As far as I'm aware, Win95 tries to be a protected operating system and
doesn't
allow direct I/O access from an application.  Access must be via a
device driver.
I Linux can use direct I/O if you run as root.
Is this possible with Cygwin32 or MinGW32 ??

I guess writing a driver is the way to go ( I need to rewrite the code
to access
the card anyway as the libraries supplied do not do what I want ).

Can anybody give example code of I/O access in a driver format for
Cygwin or MinGW.
A simple skeleton program would more than suffice.

-------------

A friend of mine is doing some graphing and data manipulation for the
above data
logging software.  He is using Borland Delphi and I obviously wish to
use one of
the GNU packages.

What is the best way to communicate between the two modules ??
Via DLL or device driver ??
Can a device driver be a DLL.

Thanks for any help.

Brendan Simon
bsimon@randata.com.au  or  brendan@dgs.monash.edu.au

PS. I'm new to Device Driver and DLL programming (if you couldn't tell)

-