group passwd who last (three questions)

I made mkgroup -l > /etc/group and mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd but
some stuff seems wrong:

a) A lot of my files seem to belong to some fellow with UID 544.
   I don't have a user 544 on this system.  When I make a new file,
   the owner becomes Mr. 544, regardless of who I am when I first
   touch it.  Is this some UN*X thing that I just don't know about?

b) I don't seem to have any groups, regardless of what I do in the
   NT user manager:

   root@DOLORES bash-2.01$mkgroup -l
   None::513:
   Everyone::0:

c) who perpetually thinks that no one is logged in.  Again, maybe
   I'm not using this correctly.

   root@DOLORES bash-2.01$who -q

   # users=0
   root@DOLORES bash-2.01$who -q /var/run/utmp

   # users=0
   root@DOLORES bash-2.01$who /var/log/wtmp
   [snip...more like running last]
   root@DOLORES bash-2.01$who -q /var/run/utmp
   [snip...like running last, but not formatted]
   # users=150

Thanks again, and sorry to clog yer mailboxes!

Byron
fiat_owner@yahoo.com
--
Jon Byron Davis                                        617.629.4194
88 Concord Ave. #2                                  jbdavis@mit.edu

"We saw shadows of the morning light -- shadows of the evening sun"
-