Re: bash-shell output

On 04-Feb-1998, Andrew Innes <andrewi@harlequin.co.uk> wrote:
> On 04 Feb 1998 17:07:50 -0800, Nils Goesche <ngo@wossolit.teles.de> said:
> >You have to uncomment that fflush-line. But the usual shells
> >like command.com or 4nt don't need that line. This is somewhat
> >annoying. Can I at least force the shell somehow to flush
> >input/output buffers? Some other programs are just unusable
> >because of this behavior.
>
> This is a consequence of the design of Windows (well, that combined with
> the behaviour of the Microsoft C runtime library).
>
> Most DOS/Windows compilers make stdout unbuffered if isatty() returns
> true, and isatty() in turn calls GetFileType on the OS file handle - if
> the handle is a console handle, then isatty returns true.
>
> Emacs has to redirect stdin and stdout/stderr for subprocesses through
> pipes so it can communicate with them, but cannot hide the fact that
> the handles are pipe handles.

Does that mean that
	- a proper pseudo-tty implementation (one for which isatty() would
	  return true) is not possible on Windows?
	- a proper pseudo-tty implementation is possible, but cygwin32
	  doesn't have one yet?
	- a proper pseudo-tty implementation is possible, and cygwin32
	  has one, but emacs doesn't use it?

--
Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au>   |  "I have always known that the pursuit
PGP: finger fjh@128.250.37.3         |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.