Re: Problem with `window manager already running' X-windows erro

> For some X servers, MI/X being one of them, you have
> a clear separation of the X server proper and the
> window manager. With MI/X, the executable XS.EXE is
> the X server, while TWM.EXE is the window manager,
> and if you choose you can have a "xstart" script
> like this:
>
> /mix_95/xs &
> /usr/X11R6.3/bin/xset fp= /mix_95/BDF/MISC ;
> /usr/X11R6.3/bin/xclock -fg yellow -bg gray -geometry 100x100-0+0 &
> /usr/X11R6.3/bin/bitmap -geometry 100x100+0-0 &
> /usr/X11R6.3/bin/rxvt -geometry 80x25+0+0 &
> /mix_95/twm -f ~/myown.twm
>
> If one prefers 'fvwm' and have installed it, one can
> replace the last line with:
>
> /usr/X11R6.3/bin/fvwm &
>
> Now, for X servers which use MS Windows to do their
> window management, the separation between X server
> and window manager is not that obvious, and usually
> you cannot replace the native "Windows" manager with
> another one of your choosing. Starnet's x-win32 and
> other high-end commercial X servers are in this category.
> Therefore, if you try to run "fvwm" with these X-servers
> you get the `window manager already running' because
> indeed MS Windows is the window manager already in charge.
> In any event, you should check the documentation that
> came with your X server.
>
> Arlindo da Silva
> dasilva@alum.mit.edu

Hi,

The second part of the explanation above is only partially true.
By default StarNet's X-Win32 installs itself in what StarNet calls
a "multiple window mode". In this mode window management is indeed
relegated to MS Windows and any attempt at starting twm or fvwm will
result in the reported error message of a window manager already
running.

However, using X-Util32 you can tell X-Win32 to go into a "single
window mode" (select Option -> Window settings -> Single). Now you
can use any window manager you like. In the "single window mode"
you can also play a script like the one in the MI/X example above
(except of course for the first line).

Hope this is of some help,

Tijs
m.h.m.michels@kub.nl

BTW, switching from MI/X to X-Win32 solved the problem I reported
earlier regarding XPaint-2.5.3. Of course this is not really a
solution, since X-Win32 is not free, far from it.
-