Re: tar (four questions) (NBY)

>Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 13:18:33 -0500
>From: Jon Byron Davis <fiat_owner@yahoo.com>
>To: gnuwin32 <gnu-win32@cygnus.com>
>Subject: tar (four questions)
>
>A few questions about tar:
>
>a) I get the following error/warning when I create an archive:
>   (someone asked about this before, but I never saw an answer)
>
>   root@DOLORES bash-2.01$tar cvf tmp.tar tmp/
>   setgrent called, and it's not done yet.
>
>   Is this a problem?  I haven't seen any negative effects, but...

"(module) called, and it's not done yet" indicates a call to a routine
that has been stubbed.  There shouldn't be any negative effects as long
as the routine is UNIX specific.

>b) Has anyone had problems with tar screwing up archives?  I
>   don't know if it was tar or gzip (or gunzip for that matter)
>   but every now and then tar xvf fails, complaining that something
>   is wrong with the archive. This has only happened to archives
>   that I have created, not on any that I have downloaded.  Is
>   there any chance that running several instances of tar (or gzip)
>   in the background simultaneously could be confusing things?

I haven't used tar that much.  I haven't had any problems.  I think
though I remember reading something someone else had sent, though.
Check the mail archives (URL listed below signature).

>c) I can't seem to get some of the switches for tar to work.  For
>   example, -r (--append) and -u (--update) don't seem to work.
>   Am I using them incorrectly, or are some of the switches not yet
>   implemented?

don't know. Haven't tried it.

>d) How is the CR/LF thing handled with tar?  I have / mounted as
>   text=binary, but I'd like to be able to use tar to archive some
>   of my Win32 stuff (Excel spreadsheets, mostly).  I haven't run
>   into any problems yet, but I'd like to be aware of any potential
>   pitfalls.

As long as you execute tar within the text=binary directories then the
\r should not be a problem.  Tar will then not add or subtract anything
from the file.  If you execute tar from text!=binary directories, \r
will be removed and control z ends the file.

>Thanks for any help/advice you can offer!
>
>Byron
>fiat_owner@yahoo.com
>--
>Jon Byron Davis                                        617.629.4194
>88 Concord Ave. #2                                  jbdavis@mit.edu
>Somerville, MA 02143                           fiat_owner@yahoo.com
>
>"We saw shadows of the morning light -- shadows of the evening sun"
>-

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/           (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                   (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                   (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/    (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html        (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub (Den Internet Services - US mirror and ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)