Re: Newbie question for cygwin32

>Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 10:38:52 -0600
>To: "Earnie Boyd" <earnie_boyd@hotmail.com>
>From: Christopher <wizard@centraltx.net>
>Subject: Re: Newbie question for cygwin32
>Hi there Earnie,
>
>I realized last night when I went off to work (midnight-8am is no
>fun) that I had forgotten to mention the mount setup.
>So here it is:
>
>Device          Directory           Type       Flags
>c:\temp         /tmp                native     no-mixed,text!=binary
>\\.\tape1:      /dev/st1            native     no-mixed,text!=binary
>\\.\tape0:      /dev/st0            native     no-mixed,text!=binary
>\\.\b:          /dev/fd1            native     no-mixed,text!=binary
>\\.\a:          /dev/fd0            native     no-mixed,text!=binary
>c:gnuwin32\b18\H-i386-cygwin32\bin /bin   native no-mixed,text!=binary
>c:              /                   native     no-mixed,text!=binary
>
>That is the entire display.
>I know I have yet to umount and remount them in text=binary
>mode as I saw MANY posts telling me to do, but from what I gathered
>about the changes in that wouldn't affect the problem I have.

The text!=binary mounts should not be the problem.  You should be able
to start bash without incident.  It will stop you from porting some UNIX
code though.  Most UNIX programs that expect to have the file in binary
mode open it that way and the \r gets in the way.

>However, I'm quite possibly 100% wrong :P
>As for .bashsrc, I haven't touched, edited, or even opened that file
>so it is in the same form it was when it extracted itself from the
>cdk.exe. I did a search through my whole system for all files

I don't think that your file came from the cdk.exe.  I have never seen
one.

You keep type .bashsrc! I don't know what this file is as the file
should be .bashrc .

>named or including the name bashrc and all with an extension of
>.bashsrc and nothing came up.

In the UNIX world a file beginning with a . is considered to be a
"hidden file"; meaning that it doesn't show in the ls or dir command
without supplying special switches.

>I haven't unstalled Sergey's coolview yet, but I didn't
>really see anything saying I had to in order to make bash work at
>all, just to do so if I wanted a nicer running setup since it has
>alot of bug fixes that will be in b19. Sorry if I didn't include
>any crucial info I might have needed but just ask and I'll send
>anything you could possibly need to help me out. Thanks a million
>for your assistance with myself, and all the newbies to cygwin32 :)

Installing Sergey's coolview may or may not help.  On NT I haven't
installed it.  On 95 I have.  One thing for sure, before you install it
you will need to change the mounts.

>Chris Glendenning

When starting bash try in this way:

bash -norc -noprofile

This tells bash not to use any startup files.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/           (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                   (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                   (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/    (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html        (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub (Den Internet Services - US mirror and ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)