bash questions

I installed gnu-win32 simply to run some csh scripts that I had on a
Solaris box. In the process of converting this script to bash I have
encountered the following problems...

1) set

   It does not seem to do anything. I have been using declare instead. Is set
   supposed to set variables?

2) let

      let THREE=1+2

   works fine in that

      echo $THREE

   responds with 3, but...

      let OLTT=1<2

   responds with...

      2: no such file or directory

3) If I have a string of items such as...

      declare ALIST="abc def ghi jkl mno pqr"

   I can access items individually in a for command such as...

      for ITEM in $ALIST; do

  but is there a command or syntax that will let me access any one specific
member? I would
  like to do something like...

      declare THIS_ITEM=$ALIST[$INDEX]

4) test

   I would like to make complicated arithmetic relational operations such
as...

   test ($V1 -lt $V2) -a ($V3 -lt $V4)

   but I am not getting the syntax quite right. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks... Eric Horowitz
-