Re: bash-shell output

I'm taking this off the NT Emacs list because it is off-topic there.

Elliot, your solution "works" but may cause problems down the road. Yes,
stderr is unbuffered. However, when the user pipes or re-directs the
output, output to stderr is not piped or re-directed. So the output does
not go to the pipe or output file. One solution the user could use is to
pipe or re-direct both stdout and stderr, but then all error messages go to
the pipe or output file. This is not what you want either. Sorry, but the
best solution is to ise printf and fflush.

At 19:15 4/2/98 -0800, Elliott A. Lowe wrote:
>Bash is actually behaving correctly; your printf() call would do the same
>thing on Unix.  Since stdout is by default fully line-buffered, any text
>that isn't terminated with a newline must be flushed before it will show up.
>
>The way I get around this is to write the prompt to stderr using fprintf(),
>since stderr is by default unbuffered.
>
>Elliott

		-- C^2

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://web.idirect.com/~ccurley
-