Re: Newbie pb... and solution, and some questions and hints.

>Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 09:42:14 +0100 (MET)
>From: Francois Felix Ingrand <felix@laas.fr>
>To: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
>Subject: Newbie pb... and solution, and some questions and hints.
>

>First of all, I want to thank the people who wrote gnu-win32... I
discovered
>this package last week, and I was able to port a 90000 lines of code
Unix pgrm
>over the WE, great package.
>
>Now I still have some pbs and hints to share:
>
>- first, can somebody clarify this text!=binary versus text=binary
>issue. Coolview says you should use the later. Fine with me, but what
is the
>reason behind all this. I understand this is related to ^M at the end
of line
>with text file, but still, how can that be such a pb? Moreover, after
making
>the mount text=binary, my Makefile would not work anymore, I had to ran
gsar -o
>-du on it. Do I have to run gsar on the whole filesystem?

text=binary vs text!=binary tells the cygwin32 built applications what
the default open mode is.  Therefore if you had text!=binary and changed
to text=binary then all scripts will fail as the \r will not be removed
from the EOL. If a program uses the default open mode then they are the
ones that will be affected.

>- I compiled Perl 5 yesterday (could not grab the binary from Russia),
and it
>looks like dot "." must be in the PATH, or part of the configure and
make
>fails.

This should be reported to the maintainers of Perl.

>- Using NTEmacs, I ran in the pb with ^M at the of the bash input line.
This
>does not seem to be a text!=binary issue. I found a bash lisp function
in the
>archive which works fine.

Please, post your findings to the list with exactly how to use it and
examples.  Many have had this problem, but I haven't seen a
fix/work-around posted.

>- anybody using cvs? does it work with text=binary? I used it first to
grab my
>pgrm from my cvsserver... but at that time the mount was
text!=binary... now
>that I have changed it... will it still work?

My guess on this is, NO.  You cvs'ed version contains \r\n which you
don't want.

>- I installed MiX and the X11R6 libs... I have seen Lesstif mentioned
here and
>there in the archive, but no definitive proof of a successfull port.
Has it
>been ported?

I don't know about this.  I have given a list of URL's below my
signature, some of which contain portals.

>About the pb I reported on saturday....
>Francois Felix Ingrand writes:
>>
>>Just started to compile my apps under cigwin32 and ran in a pb which I
cannot
>>understand. Even under GDB, the pgrm seem to break before starting
>>(i.e. executing main)...
>>
>>Can somebody help me on this? thanks in advance.
>>
>>bash$ ./mp-prs
>>(f:\prs\src\mp-prs.exe 1654) In cygwin_except_handler
>>(f:\prs\src\mp-prs.exe 1654) Exception trapped!
>>(f:\prs\src\mp-prs.exe 1654) exception C0000005 at 404351
>>(f:\prs\src\mp-prs.exe 1654) exception: ax 0 bx 0 cx 241EA4D dx
241EB91
>>(f:\prs\src\mp-prs.exe 1654) exception: si 5 di 1000B8B3 bp 241F510 sp
241EB6C
>>(f:\prs\src\mp-prs.exe 1654) exception is: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
>>(f:\prs\src\mp-prs.exe 1654) Stack trace:
>
>I was wrong... the pgrm was not breaking before the main. Using Gdb I
found the
>culprid function...
>
>--
>			Felix
>-

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                     (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html           (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub (Den Internet Services - US mirror and ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/     (more - software portals)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/rpm   (Redhat Package Manager)