RE: Beta-19 and configurations....

Exactly -- among other things.
The initial thing to do is clever modularizing the initial dist.,
thinking over what are the packages setup choices,
the next step can be a package mgmt procedure like that on the new
Slackware, RedHead or Debian.
Moreover, I think that the package management tools need not be
rewritten -- we can borrow significant amt from there.

-