Re: Beta-19 and configurations....

In article <6CC63E2E4FC1D011A2A700609716117A266FB2@seawolf>,
Gary Fuehrer  <Fuehrer@seabase.com> wrote:
>While I, too, completely agree with what Christopher writes, I also have
>had the same experience that Guy complains about.  I e-mailed several
>bug fixes but got no response as to what happened to them.  Not
>particularly satisfying.  How did the Linux community handle
>contributions?

Generally, they get posted to something like the linux.dev.kernel
mailing list.  The patches are tried by various adventurous souls who
report on their experiences.  There may be deafening silence to a patch
or there may be rousing cheers of acclaim.

Often the patches get posted several times and people complain that
Linus is ignoring them.  Sometimes it takes multiple tries to get him
to acknowledge a patch because his mailbox is so full that it is easy
to miss things.

I am under the impression that Linus has a handful of people from whom
he accepts patches without qualification.  They are on the "fast track".
For everyone else it is hit or miss as to whether the patch will be accepted.
--
http://www.bbc.com/	cgf@bbc.com			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."