Re: Linux "bazaar" model (Re: Beta-19 and configurations....)

cgf@bbc.com (Christopher Faylor) writes:

> You may be right as to the model being used, but I have seen very very
> few contributors here.  In fact more than a few postings contain words to
> the effect of "I haven't looked at the sources, but it seems to me..."
> When I see those words I usually move on to the next article.

Chris' point is well taken, but as usual there are two sides to the coin.
There *might* be more participation if the development sources were more
readily available; at the very least, there may be more testers, who play
a significant role in the development in most free software projects.

Comparing Linux model with cygwin32 is probably unfair since the user base
is fundamentally different. We have, however, seen considerable increase
in productivity in gcc2 development since egcs has started, and the same
could happen to cygwin32.

There are times I wish I had access to the latest sources while struggling
with problems with cygwin32 egcs port (eg., the question of whether freopen
is fixed in the latest sources). Oh well.

Mumit
-