Re: Mingw32 Futures

>From: Geoffrey Noer <noer@cygnus.com>
>Subject: Re: Mingw32 Futures
>To: colin@fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp (Colin Peters)
>Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 15:48:11 -0800 (PST)
>Cc: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
>
>Colin Peters wrote:
>[...]
>> That is typical of the "problems" I am having right now. Basically,
there
>> are at least three versions of the gcc compiler distribution which
either
>> have or plan to have Mingw32 integrated into them. Jan jaap's Mingw32
gcc
>> 2.8.0, Mumit Khan's releases of EGCS for Mingw32, Cygwin32 gcc
(perhaps
>> starting with b20) and maybe the FSF version of gcc.
>
>IMHO, here's what I currently think would be best:
>
>1) Scrap the mingw configuration of gcc. Ditto for the Cygwin32
>configuration.  The new configuration would just be called
>"i[x]86-pc-win32".
>
>2) This configuration will default to behaving as close to a native
>Win32 compiler as possible.  This means it would use Microsoft's C
>libraries like Mingw does by default.
>
>3) A command-line option would enable the Cygwin32 layer.

I like this idea.  This sounds great.

>I don't know what the FSF's plans are in this area but I would like to
>see something like this happen in both egcs and gcc 2.8.
>
>Beta 19 is the last release to include gcc 2.8.  Future releases will
>include the egcs compiler.  Hopefully in a configuration similar to
>the above.
>
>> 1. Mingw32 is basically a C run time library replacement. As I
understand it
>> gcc is usually bundled with the GNU C library (libc and libm) among
other
>> libraries. Cygwin32's newlib is similar (with a more ambitious goal).
Has
>> anyone seriously thought about how this should fit together?
>
>An interesting idea would be for Cygwin32 to be a layer on top of
>Microsoft's C libraries instead of on top of newlib.  I haven't looked
>into this yet.

I believe this would be doable.  I've ported a lot of GNU utilities with
the mingw32.  They seem to work fine.  I will eventually upload to
deninc.com, the things I, with help from Hilton Fernandes, have been
working on.  There are two major surprises, at least to me; 1) \r\n or
\n is read \r\n is written by defaults.  2) path delimination happens
with either the \ or the /.

>> 4. Related to the above. I don't think b19 is going to include any
Mingw32
>> stuff (beyond perhaps the ability to be rebuilt under Mingw32).
Should I try
>> to write up instructions for adding Mingw32 onto a Cygwin install for
the
>> convenience of those who want both?
>
>The winsup directory in the sources will include a version of mingw we
>imported last fall.  A simple makefile modification would make it
>buildable and installable.  But the changes to gcc aren't in place so
>it's not being built and included in b19 other than being in the
sources.

>It would be nice to have a drop-in package for b19 that converts it
>to a mingw gcc.  We are actively working on integrating mingw into
>egcs.
>
>Let me know if you have additional questions...
>
>Geoffrey Noer
>noer@cygnus.com
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message

---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------