Re: Mingw32 Futures (Classification)

Greetings,

On 23 Feb 98 at 23:34, the Illustrious Jan-Jaap van der Heijden wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Paul Garceau wrote:
>
> > >Many posters refer to "Mingw32 2.8.0" which is
> > > actually the GNU compiler gcc version 2.8.0 built by Jan-Jaap using the
> > > Mingw32 headers and distributed bundled with those headers. I'd call that
> > > Mingw32 gcc 2.8.0.
>
> Personally, I have always used terms such as "mingw32 gcc", "mingw32 GNU
> software" etc., just to avoid this kind of confusion.

	(skip OpenGL references)

> Seriously: work has to be done before mingw32-gcc can fully utilize the
> possibilities of the Platform SDK. This includes modification to
> binutils, and an easy, upgradable way to patch the SDK headers.
>
> > 	I am not sure where Mumit Khans' version fits in here, though I
> > understand that EGCS is supposedly considered the ragged edge of cygwin32.
>
> Not quite.
> EGCS is a vehicle to speed up the development of new features for GCC.
> Mumit Khan and I swap patches every now and then, so as far as mingw32
> related features are concerned, the compilers are more or less equal.

	Thanks for the clarification, Jan-Jaap.

Jan-Jaap wrote:

> Nope.
> GCC (sources) do not include any C library component, nor libstdc++
> However, all essential support for i386-mingw32 or i386-cygwin32 targets
> is in the regular sources, so no patches are required to build the
> compiler. A few patches exist, but they are bugfixes.
>
> > 	Mingw32 would not exist if Cygwin32 did not have some sort of previous
> > existence prior to the Mingw32 (v0.4) date of availability.
> >

> If it was not for the PE-COFF support implemented by the Cygnus' people,
> mingw32-gcc would not exist. And Colin Peters started with a hacked
> cygwin32 toolchain, if I remember correctly.
>
> > 	Apparently EGCS requires the "basic" Mingw32 distribution as authored by
> > Colin Peters.  The "extended" Mingw32 distribution, as authored by
> > Jan-Jaap, requires the "basic" Mingw32 distribution in order to function
> > properly as far as I can tell.
> >

> ????

	Sorry for the confusion, I was attempting to categorize things since
that's what I thought Colin was asking for.  My mistake.

> I did not extend mingw32. I have no plans to touch the essentials of
> mingw32. I fail to see why "my" GCC should be "extended" and Mumit's
> "basic".

	I don't believe that Mumit's is the "basic".  If there is a "basic" it
would be Colins' Mingw32-headers.

	I classify Mingw32-gcc-2.8.0 as an "extension" of Colins'
Mingw32-headers by nature of the fact that Mingw32-gcc-2.8.0 would not be
functioning as it is without Colins' headers.  Thus, my definitions of
Mingw32 are functionally oriented as opposed to process oriented.

	Mingw32-gcc-2.8.x software requires Colins' Mingw32-headers.
Mingw32-gcc-2.8.x then takes those headers and integrates them with
gcc-2.8.x or visa-versa.

	Therefore, and imho, Mingw32-gcc-2.8.x is equivalent to adding gcc-2.8.x
to the Mingw32-headers and redistributing both as a unique package,
distribution or toolchain.

	The above process tends to clearly define exactly what Mingw32-gcc-2.8.0
functionality actually is and may serve as a means to allow us to classify
Mingw32-gcc-2.8.0 in a much clearer and more concise manner.

	Peace,

		Paul G.

Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.